Dental Implants vs. Dentures: Which One is Right for You?
By Dr. James Forester | Dec 3, 2018 | Uncategorized
Dental implants and dentures are solutions for those who are missing one or more permanent teeth. How do you decide which option is right for you?
While it is always a good idea to get an evaluation from a qualified dentist, such as Dr. Jim Forester, to help you decide the best treatment, the following information will give you an overview of dental implants vs dentures.
Are dentures right for you?
Dentures, often called false teeth, have been around for thousands of years. No longer are modern dentures bulky, painful, or fit improperly.
A denture is a customized, removable appliance that should fit securely in the mouth. Dentures replace missing teeth and the surrounding tissue, and can be partial or full.
These devices rely on suction to hold them in place, but sometimes people use adhesive for a firmer hold. They include replacement teeth placed on gum-colored trays which attach to remaining teeth with metal frames.
Reasons people choose dentures:
- Dentures are cheaper than dental implants.
- Dentures may be the right option if you are missing all or many of your teeth.
- Dentures are great options for people with weak or unhealthy gums and jaws.
- Dentures allow patients to eat, chew, and speak properly and effectively.
Some things to consider about dentures:
- They require daily cleaning.
- They usually must be replaced by a dentist approximately every three years.
The process of getting dentures:
The entire process of getting dentures can take anywhere from one to six weeks, which will involve several dentist visits for measurements and fittings to ensure your dentures fit the best they can.
First, measurements are taken. Then, the initial cast is created. After this, the final denture is cast and tested to determine the best fit. Regular checkups will be required after you get new dentures.
Are dental implants right for you?
In most cases, dental implants will be the preferred option for people with missing teeth. Dental implants fuse with the existing bone and act as a new tooth root to solidly anchor dentures or a new crown.
To be an ideal candidate for dental implants, a person should have good general and oral health. Adequate bone in the jaw is needed to support the implant. However, some people who have lost bone in their jaw can get implants after having a bone grafting procedure.
Also, people with partial or full dentures can replace them with dental implants or use implants to stabilize and secure their dentures, making them more comfortable.
Reasons people choose dental implants:
- Dental implants feel and respond like natural teeth, allowing for natural eating, brushing, and flossing.
- Dental implants typically do not require replacement like dentures.
- Dental implants are good for people with one or more missing teeth.
Some other advantages of dental implants:
- They never slip, make embarrassing noises, or decay.
- They do not require messy denture adhesives.
- Taking care of implants is easy, like caring for natural teeth.
- You won’t need to worry about having a sunken-in look, something some people experience with dentures.
- They are more comfortable than dentures.
- They keep you looking younger by preventing jawbone shrinkage and deterring further bone loss.
- You will be able to eat all foods.
The process of getting dental implants:
Dr. Forester works with very talented oral surgeons who can remove any problem tooth, prepare the jaw, and gently place the implants. Once healed, Dr. Forester can then place abutments and crowns on your implant to give you a natural feeling and a beautiful tooth once again.
Choose Lifetime Smiles in Johns Creek, GA for your dentures and dental implants
At our dentist office, Lifetime Smiles in Johns Creek, GA, we have experience providing exceptional care for our patients with missing teeth. We offer both dentures and dental implants.
To maintain good health, it’s important to address painful, unhealthy, or unattractive teeth. Both dentures and dental implants will also help to eliminate gum disease and dental decay.
Our excellent, compassionate staff would be more than happy to talk to you about your missing teeth.
Call us now or contact us here for more information about dentures or dental implants, and to schedule your evaluation appointment. You deserve a smile you love!
Posted by Lifetime Smiles
9590 Medlock Bridge Rd, Suite F, Johns Creek, GA 30097